In the west, near the boundary with Portugal, there are different fortifications, due to the wars and fighting that took place throughout the history. Some of them played a very important role during the Napoleonic Wars.
Opened in 1980, this museum is located on the remains of the old church of San Gil, whose apse is nowadays a temporal exhibition room.
Los Arapiles, two hills and a wide plain, are situated 8 km to the south of Salamanca city. These three places have been declared Historical Site. On the 22nd July, 1812 one of the most important battles of the Peninsular War took place there, the battle of Salamanca.
The Reception Centre for Visitors of the Veton Territory is located in Lumbrales
It is a Modernist Portuguese-colonial style building, which was built between 1875 and 1877 to honour Princess Isabel, Alfonso XIII´s daughter, on the occasion of the Duero railway opening.
Valeriano Salas was a restless fond of travelling man who was also a tireless photographer worried about art and culture.