It was built in the XIVth and XVth centuries over another old fortress. In fact, according to some of the current remains, it is believed that this first building could house the legendary Order of the Templar Knights, for accommodation purposes.
The castle was the home of the Miranda County; in the Middle Ages the village held the control of a great part of the Sierra. It reached its splendor in 1547, when the County became a reality in the person of Diego de Zuñiga.
The castle was used as a castle in a way, but its main feature is its austerity. The floor plant is trapezoidal, and the corners are finished with solid cylindrical cubes which have small windows and arrow-holes. The main tower has a military finish, with nearby lobed brackets.
The fortress stands out at the entrance of the historical site of the village. San Gines Door is the access to this historical site. The fortress, which is a private building, can be seen from the square in front of it. You should also walk along the path o “Paso de Ronda”, which is almost totally preserved.